Warriors at heart. Your campus experience may only last a few years, but your connection to Southern Wesleyan can last a lifetime. Stay connected to SWU through events, publications, and social media.

The faith-filled community at SWU is comprised of students, faculty and staff who are passionate about learning and growing, both inside and outside of the classroom.

VA Benefits

There are a number of benefit plans available for eligible veterans. An overview of the ones most often used for enrollment at Southern Wesleyan University is provided below.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.

The Post 9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33): The Post-9/11 GI Bill® is for individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days on or after September 11, 2001. Veterans, active-duty service members, and their spouses and dependents may be eligible for these benefits. Additional financial assistance is available for eligible veterans through Southern Wesleyan  University's participation in the Yellow Ribbon Program.

The Montgomery GI Bill® (Chapter 30): Active Duty Educational Assistance Program, generally for individuals who entered active duty after June 30, 1985 and served continuously for three years or for individuals serving two years on active duty followed by four years of Selected Reserve. To be eligible, veterans must have contributed $1,200 during their first year of military service. Veterans or service personnel cannot withdraw money paid into the fund.

The Montgomery GI Bill® (Chapter 1606): Selected Reserve Educational Assistance Program, for members of the Reserve elements of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, and the National Guard. To be eligible, service members must have a six-year obligation to serve in the Selected Reserve signed after June 30, 1985. No contribution is required. Eligibility for this program is determined by the Department of Defense or Department of Homeland Security, as appropriate.

Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance (Chapter 35): Educational assistance is available to spouses and children of veterans who have passed away or are permanently and totally disabled as the result of a service-related injury or disability.

Veteran Readiness & Employment - formerly Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31): This program is for Veterans with a service-connected disability of 10% or greater. The benefit provides a monthly stipend and covers the cost of tuition, books and supplies. Eligibility is determined on an individual case basis.

How to Apply for VA Benefits

Once you have applied to Southern Wesleyan University, you should then submit an application for VA Benefits. You can apply for VA Education Benefits through the VA Online Application System.

It takes the VA approximately 4-6 weeks to process applications. Once the Department of Veterans Affairs has processed your application you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility in the mail. You must submit a copy of this document to the School Certifying Official before enrollment can be certified.

The VA processes educational payments on a monthly basis. Renewals are not automatic. Students will need to submit a request for certification prior to the beginning of each new semester through MySWU.

Those using chapters 30, 33, or 1606 should verify enrollment each month through the WAVE system at https://www.gibill.va.gov/wave/index.do or call the VA at 1-877-823-2378.

If you have any questions regarding the VA application process or related to using your benefits at Southern Wesleyan University please contact the Warriors CARE Center, at 864-644-5059 or by email at .